Church History

St. Matt Sketch01The architect for St. Matthew’s Church was Richard Upjohn; and it is a graceful example of his mid-19th century, wooden, board and batten, Gothic design. Listed on the National Register of Historical Buildings, St. Matthew’s also has the distinction of containing the smallest tracker organ designed for a public building by Lane Organ Co.

St. Matthew’s Parish was formally organized in 1859, the land purchased for $180 dollars in 1860, and the church completed from Upjohn’s catalog of Rural Architecture in the fall of 1860. It was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. George Burgess, Bishop of Maine on Dec. 12, 1860.

The house next door was purchased as a rectory, the mortgage being “paid off’ in 1986, as the new parish hall was also completed, having broken ground on Oct. 8, 1984. Ongoing efforts for good stewardship in the care of our facilities and their interiors show our pride in the gifts we have been given by former members of past generations.